Thursday, April 23, 2015

New bottom boards

This week I was working on some new improved bottom boards with a slot for the beetles to go straight into the pan under the screened bottom.  As I was looking at it, it occurred to me that the beetles could just crawl up from behind and through the screen and into the hive.  I had remembered seeing a you tube video of one like mine that had a trap between the hive and the entrance, so after much digging, I found what I was looking for on line and bought six.  Talking with the mfr, I told him it was for my octagonal hives and he was totally unaware of what they were.  I said " don't laugh, all of my hives survived this terrible winter".  He said he could have what I needed here by next week.

Today I modified the bottom boards to accept the Beetle Jail entrance trap and can't wait for them to arrive as I killed 9 beetles the other day while doing a cursory inspection.  The bees had them all pushed into a corner so it was an easy thumb squish process.  All my bees seem to be very hygienic.  As it turned out, making the new boards for the Beetle Jail, was half the work and the cost is surely justified.  NOT CHEAP  Will have a picture when its all done.

My Red-bud is just beginning to open its blossoms and the bees are ready.   Later

No comments:

Post a Comment