Sunday, April 5, 2015

Feral hive out come looks bleek

Seeing limited activity, today as it was warm, I pulled the nuc box from the top of the hive and saw that it was empty so I set it aside and removed the second box.  This one had a few bees.  Upon cracking open the third box, I saw a smaller mass of bees at the top so covered it all up and went and got the hive blanket and cover.  I then removed all the upper box again and did a thorough inspection.  Not a trace of honey left so I thought that the bees I was seeing could be robbers.  After watching awhile, the bees became active and soon they were bringing back pollen to the hive so my hope picked up a little.  I made up a batch of sugar water and put it in the entrance feeder.  I shook out the remaining bee from the box removed and then reassembled the hive leaving only 2 brood boxes.  It was in the low 50's so I didn't want to chill any brood, if there is some, so didn't dig any further for now.  Will just watch for now and see if any new flyers come out in the near future.  The other two hives are still doing great and I am expecting early swarms and have made all preparations for that.  If I get secondary swarms, I may pull the queen from one and put her in the feral box as it has an older queen.  Probably why its not up to par with the rest.  Was a good thing I fed when I did earlier as this hive would not have made it.  Still may not.  Later

No comments:

Post a Comment