Friday, July 12, 2013

Harvesting inspection

After all my yard work this morning, I smoked the package hive and pulled the comb box off to see how it is progressing.  About half full, so I'll leave it till fall.  Pulled the top brood box to check for honey storage.  It was not as full as I would have liked for removal, and there were still a few of the lower part of the bars which contained brood, so I guess it will have to stay for the winter unless they get inspired this fall season.  All hives still bringing in pollen, but I don't have the slightest idea from where.  Guess I'll take the dogs for a stroll and check out the neighborhood.  Still some white clover around for them to gather nectar and the other flowers around are still going strong, with the Hosta just now flowering.   My plans for selling honey this summer are all but dashed for the time being.

By the way, I used some of the new, non-chemical herbal spray for sending the bees down, it stings when you get it on your hands so wear gloves.  It sent the bees below right away, but they refused to leave the box due to the brood.  I do give it a good recommendation.  Later

No comments:

Post a Comment