Since I installed the new queen, the bee's have been furiously building comb, the box is almost full. A lot of chatter at the top, with the heat I think they are fanning to keep the temp down. So I built a top escape for them to let out some of the escess heat and humidity. Putting it in place meant removing the blanket, sliding in the 3/4 in spacer and putting the blanket back down. Thought I would try without smoking since it was a quick change. The bees should have been young and not prone to attack but the minute I lifted the top, one came out and nailed me between the eyes. That hurt! But I finished the job and left with a few more in pursuit. 5 minutes later there was a conciderable lessening in the bussing, and after a half hour, all was quiet.
I hope they begin building down to the next box this week, I'll feel better knowing they are expanding. The new hatch from the new queen should start in a week, can't wait.