Saturday, March 2, 2013

Varora inspection

Yesterday I pulled the bottom board from the nasty hive and with a magnifying glass, searched for the dreaded Varora mite.  I had been expecting to find some evidence as the reason for all my hive disappearing.
After a careful search I found only a few dead mites, not as many as I would have thought to kill off the hive. It was the first time that there was evidence of a mite problem as I had systematically inspected all summer and had found no evidence they existed in my colonies.  I did use screened bottom boards to help stem the problem anyway.  I guess this year I will switch to a resistant queen, probably a Minnesota hybrid, and do a much better job monitoring and following the instructions from the attached video.  Watch it, its very informative.  Later

No comments:

Post a Comment